In the early hours of the morning (UK time) Blizzard Entertainments’ Overwatch was crowned Game of the Year at this year’s Game Developer Choice Awards taking place during GDC 2017 in San Francisco.
Blizzard’s popular first-person shooter overcame Dishonored 2, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Inside and Firewatch to clinch the coveted award while Campo Santo walked away with awards for Best Debut and Best Narrative for its work on walking simulator Firewatch.
The Game Developers Choice Awards full list of winners:
- Best Audio Inside (Playdead)
- Best Debut Campo Santo (Firewatch)
- Best Design Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game Pokemon Go (Niantic)
- Innovation Award No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)
- Best Narrative Firewatch (Campo Santo)
- Best Technology Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Naughty Dog)
- Best Visual Art Inside (Playdead)
- Best VR/AR Game Job Simulator: The 2050 Archives (Owlchemy Labs)
- Audience Award Battlefield 1 (EA DICE)
- Game of the Year Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)
- Pioneer Award Jordan Mechner
- Ambassador Award Mark DeLoura
- Lifetime Achievement Award Tim Sweeney
The Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2017 runs February 27th through to March 3rd.