The ceremony for The Game Awards 2016 took place last night at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
Curated by longtime host Geoff Keighley, The Game Awards recognises the year’s best-developed games as chosen by industry, media professionals and of course, the fans, and now we know the winners from each category.
No game since Call of Duty 4 has captivated the entire gaming world as much as Overwatch and so it was no surprise to see Blizzard Entertainments FPS walk away with the much-coveted Game of the Year, in addition to scooping up Best Game Direction and Best Multiplayer. id Software’s DOOM picked up a couple awards for Best Action Game and Best Music/Sound Design, while Naughty Dog’s Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End won Best Narrative with voice actor Nolan North collecting Best Performance.
Acrimoniously absent from last year’s awards ceremony, Hideo Kojima returned last night to collect 2016’s Industry Icon.
- Game of the Year – Overwatch
- Best Game Direction – Blizzard Entertainment
- Best Independent Game – Inside
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game – Pokémon Go
- Best VR Game – Rez Infinite
- Best Narrative – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Best Art Direction – Inside
- Best Music/Sound Design – Doom
- Best Performance – Nolan North (as Nathan Drake, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End)
- Games for Impact – That Dragon, Cancer
- Best Action Game – Doom
- Best Action/Adventure Game – Dishonored 2
- Best Role-Playing Game – The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine
- Best Fighting Game – Street Fighter V
- Best Strategy Game – Civilization VI
- Best Family Game – Pokémon Go
- Best Sports/Racing Game – Forza Horizon 3
- Best Multiplayer – Overwatch
- Most Anticipated Game – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- ESports Player of the Year – Marcelo “Coldzera” David (SK Gaming)
- ESports Team of the Year – Cloud9
- ESports Game of the Year – Overwatch
- Trending Gamer – Boogie2988
- Best Fan Creation – Enderal: The Shards of Order
Industry Icon Award: Hideo Kojima